Enter your email for notification of new posts

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Exhaust system done!

Tonight we finished the exhaust system with the help of Søren, the expert welder from Denmark! It looks great, and I'm sure we now have a more durable exhaust system than the ones available off the shelf. Besides, getting it made on site makes it fit to the cowlings. Great work Søren, thanks very much!

We also checked the travel on control surfaces. How... ? My brilliant technical chief, Sander, came up with the idea of using a phone inclinometer - they are by far accurate enough and so easy to use!

Cowlings are now in for a final touchup of paint - getting ready for the static display 31st of May.

Furthermore, continued fitting of the windshield. Have marked the final adjustments to be made and should be able to fix it next time. Small detail: Sander finished the pitot protection in olive drab canvas with a nice and long "Remove before flight" tag. Should be hard to miss on daily inspection...

It's all looking good - and more work to be done in the long weekend coming up. Thursday however, we are flying down to south Sweden to visit the "Cub & Cubs" fly-in, and hopefully spot many nice Cubs and L-4's.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Exhaust-system and more

Today we had Søren visiting us in the hangar. He is a very skilled welder, daily working with highly complex steal/mechanics for off shore use. Søren is now making the exhaust pipes to fit my C90-12F engine, totally different from the 8F engine which was on LN-MAV before. Right side is more or less finished (some fine welding and "polishing" remains). Also notice the black painted cylinder tops. That is correct for the L-4's, even though the chromed ones are cool...

Ailerons cables rigged today. Now MAV has a nice and tight tension with shackle-ends joining the cables. Also, we fine-rigged the tail today.

All in all very happy with the progress. Hope to finish all exhaust system on Tuesday. Windshield up next, and fairings. Working really hard to make the deadline 31 May for the annual airshow at Kjeller Airport. Hopefully also with a CAA inspection following the exhibition after the airshow.

Saturday, May 2, 2015


Hooked on the ailerons using new pins from Univair. Some pulleys are still at the sandblaster, so we did not get it all rigged up. Now I need to find the specifications for how many degrees up/down the ailerons shall have.
Aileron control cables are now attached to the rear control stick and the inside pulley covers are put on. Used a little protective list on the sharp edge to protect the inside ceconite wall.
Also cut hole for the step-mount. However I need to paint the clamp OD before it goes on permanently. I think I might also protect the step with some leather, the paint wears out quickly otherwise.